Thursday, April 17, 2014

National Poetry Month: Lisa Mende



"Poem"
Lisa Mende

Marriage ruined my marriage he said as he plopped down
      on the seat next to mine
It snowed every night on the sheets of our bed have I met
      you before what's your name what's your sign
I'm a thinker a feeler a lover of beauty a needer of 
      moments unplanned
matrimony's a stealer it turns lust to duty and makes men
      like me feel unmanned
I admit I'm confused do you find that endearing I'm so
      easily hurt and I'm shy
I'm not scared of committing I believe in forever do you
      believe in a love at first sight
I was so unprepared when I saw you here sitting like a
      vision all bathed in white light
Marriage ruined my marriage let me buy you another why
      do romance and passion go south?
Boredom's what I disparage need a muse not a mother and
      you've got such a kissable mouth
Are your eyes really green they light up when you smile
      you're a gypsy you know that? you are
Are you bored or serene let's commune for a while what a
     mystery to find you alone in this bar
I take credit for little I'm abounding in blessing every
     move has been spiritually guided
Karma's smack in the middle so I've stopped second
     guessing because my future's already decided
I eat all my food raw and I'm chiefly a Buddhist and I
     guess my worst feature is pride
I do yoga I chant and was briefly a nudist and I'm very
     in touch with my feminine side
I have known you forever there's a deep soul connection
     don't you feel it don't fight it it's real
Every movement you make is a subtle reflection that 
     you're feeling the same things that I feel
It's a marriage of convenience we're both well aware, she
     was pregnant and I did what was right
So for us there's a lenience and I take special care 
     to tell her if I'm not coming home for the night
Tell me all about you I can tell you're artistic it's the 
    way that you dress you've got style and panache
I was once that way too but then I got realistic cut my hair
    traded stocks now I'm dripping with cash
Are you leaving don't go yet I've just gotten started it's
    early and I need your email address
Now I'm grieving we've just met and now we'll be parted I
   am dying to feel just a single caress
Put your money away there is no way you're paying I can
   write it all off for my taxes you know
Come on honey please stay what's this game you are playing 
    sit back down now you know that you don't want to go
Hey another for me you can pour her drink out I decided
    that she was too bitchy to stay
She just wasn't that hot got a million like her she can go
   fuck herself and she's probably gay.


"Poem" by Lisa Mende originally appeared online at the Word of Mouth website, March 2010. Word of Mouth is an open-mic poetry event held the first Wednesday of every month in Athens, Georgia. [Photo by Michelle Castleberry]

No comments: