Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011): "I'm New Here"



"I'm New Here"


I did not become someone different
I did not want to be

But I'm new here
Will you show me around?
No matter how far wrong you've gone
You can always turn around

Met a woman in a bar
I told her I was hard to get to know
And near impossible to forget
She said I had an ego on me, the size of Texas

Well, I'm new here and I forget
Does that mean big or small?
No matter how far wrong you've gone
You can always turn around

And I'm shedding plates like a snake
And it may be crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

Turn around, turn around, turn around
And you may come full circle
And be new here again



"I'm New Here," with lyrics by Austin songwriter Bill Callahan of the group Smog, is the title track from Gil Scott-Heron's final album, released February 2010. The album was his first release in sixteen years.

No comments: